03 December 2008

The OSCE ODIHR report

The OSCE ODIHR issued its final report on the last parliamentary elections. For now it's only in English. I've scanned the media section and there was no surprise, in short: the media are controlled by the state and serve "the state interest" in their understanding. I.e. those who pay are in focus, the opponents of those are not and even when they are the image is negative. the independent media are sometimes also biased, but it's not so obvious when their circulation is really small in comparison with the state run media.

Nevertheless, I bought my copy of the Narodnaya Volya issue last Thursday in a usual kiok. Thus I can say that Narodnaya Volya is back. Personally, I hope that this particular newspaper will be less biased (UCP party was mentioned in the ODIHR report in relation to this paper) and more objective. Then it will have all chances that people will read it!

No comments: