12 February 2007

Chagall in Vienna!

I was at the exibition of Chagall here and I was really impressed! Hmm, though in the beginning it was really funny/strange/weird to see the entrance information in English about his biography. I've almost got used to Weissrusland in German, but to translate in to White Russia in English it is TOO much and so ridiculous!

But my general impression from the exibition was reall good. It's really colorful, passionate, magic... I admire Chagall love to his wife, I admire the way he loves his city Vitebsk.
This prints above are from the first war period, Chagall was a solder in Russian Empire, he was called up for millitary service in September 1915. I am actully really curious about his life when independend Belarusian Democratic Republic were proclaimed on the 23rd of March in 1918... But then Belarus became BSSR and we can see strange sign in the bottom left corner of his prints... How strange was our histore, how complicated is our present and how unclear is our future...

Conception of Tutejšyja is also in his prints. Nation with is living between two empires, which was under Russian control for 150 years at that moment... People got used to be just from HERE (TUT)...

I also liked the following print very much:) Chagall vs Picasso:D

Once again, I am proud that this great painter is from Belarus! :)

No comments: